[FFmpeg-user] Problem with -vf crop with current git

Steve Kenton skenton at ou.edu
Mon Oct 8 16:08:41 CEST 2012

 >> # This gets encoded to mpeg at 720x486 - crop is ignored
 >> ffmpeg -threads auto -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo
 >> -video_size 720x486 -pixel_format uyvy422
 >> -framerate 30000/1001 -i clip1.raw -vf crop=320:240
 >> -f s16le -acodec pcm_s16le -sample_rate 28000
 >> -channels 2 -i clip1.aud -y xxx1.mpg
 >
 >> # This gets encoded to mpeg at 320x240 - crop is processed
 >> ffmpeg -threads auto -f s16le -acodec pcm_s16le
 >> -sample_rate 28000 -channels 2 -i clip1.aud -f rawvideo
 >> -vcodec rawvideo -video_size 720x486 -pixel_format uyvy422
 >> -framerate 30000/1001 -i clip1.raw -vf crop=320:240 -y
 >> xxx2.mpg.
 >
 >The important thing is probably that the filter should be
 >inserted before the output file:

Yes, that made things work just fine.  I guess that answers the question
of did I do something dumb :-)

After the video input file and before the video output file are the same
place for muxed streams but may be different for separate raw audio and
video inputs, which I did not consider -Doh!

 >ffmpeg -i inputx -vf filter -i inputy out
 >vs
 >ffmpeg -i inputa -i inputb -vf filter out

The  -vf filter being silently ignored in the first case above is what
confused me. No warning, no error, no mention of it at all as sell as no
filtering.

 >Is this a regression (did it work with older versions)?

Well, Ubuntu 12.04 ships with libav and the "frozen" ffmpeg included
there did the cropping, but I don't know how it relates to "real" ffmpeg
1.0+ I build from git.

BTW http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide was a
wonderful resource for the build it from current git process.

 >Carl Eugen

Thank you very much for your gracious help!

Steve Kenton