[FFmpeg-user] Creating CBR and Interlaced video

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 10 11:11:11 CEST 2012

Kosta Vlotis wrote:

> video encoded for broadcast TV standards needs to be interlaced. just
> running some tests.

You are testing with h264 - I don't know about any where else, but in
the UK the BBC will broadcast h264 with progressive frame set.

That's only HD for SD they still use mpeg2 and everything is flagged as
interlaced.

I can't claim to be any sort of expert so may well be wrong, but I
expect the only time you would need to use tinterlace would be for
progressive source that is at field rate. If it's already interlaced
then you can feed the encoder weaved frames, if progressive at 1/2 field
rate then I expect there is a way to get it encoded as interlaced
without messing around with tinterlace (if you really need to do that at
all for h264).