[FFmpeg-user] What is the range of the quality options for AAC encoders?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Mon Oct 15 00:06:43 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012, at 07:48 AM, Werner Robitza wrote:
> FFmpeg documentation tells us that "aq" (or "q:a") sets the VBR audio
> quality and that it's codec-specific.

Yes. Values for libmp3lame with not necessarily work for libfaac, for
example. Hint: refer to lame or faac help/manual for appropriate values.

> - libfaac: We can get a hint from the faac binary's help. Possible
>   values: [10, 500], default: 100. Do these values apply to FFmpeg
>   as well?

Yes, when using libfaac.

> - libvo_aacenc: Examining the source code of libvo_aacenc there seems
>   to be no such option altogether. Is this true?

I believe you are correct.

> - aac: Judging from the FFmpeg full help, there's no option
>   here. True?

See Carl's response (and I never did figure out sane values for this).

> - libfdk_aac?

See the -vbr private libfdk_aac option. Range is 1-5, AFAIK.

> - libaacplus?

I have no experience with this one.

Lou