[FFmpeg-user] Cannot stream live in FLV format. SWF works. Why?

Jerome Martens jeromemartens at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 21:53:46 CEST 2012

>>  Is this expected behaviour? How do I make the flv play as soon as possible
> (not waiting 30mins until the input stream has finished)?
>
> I know i got this behavior when streaming from ffmpeg to flash media
> server, but didn't get this behavior when streaming from flash media
> encoder to flash media server.  I'm not sure why...do post back if you
> figure it out :)

One thing which I am not sure about is whether it is possible (if done correctly) to setup live streaming using ONLY ffmpeg and ffserver.

Most posts talk about FMS, Darwin Streaming Server, Wowza or similar. Are these required? Then I am on the wrong track.
Or are they just another implementation of what is possible with ffserver?

I am very new to video streaming. Would you mind giving a very short conceptual overview of the different parts required for a streaming server?
As I have written in the beginning, I am doing nothing else than having ffmpeg consume images from an input pipe and send it as a feed to ffserver. CAN this work?

Thanks
Jerome