[FFmpeg-user] ProRes Quicktimes with audio not playing back reliably

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Tue Oct 16 20:17:17 CEST 2012

Still trying to get this one solved.  I'd been working off-list with
Thomas Worth and here's what we've discovered so far.

Using "ffprobe -show_packets" on ProRes files made by ffmpeg and ones
made on a Mac under Final Cut or even files directly from the ARRI Alexa
camera, it seems that ALL "proper" FCP ProRes Quicktimes are 16-bit
aligned;  That is, every audio and video packet seems to be an even
length, and the offsets are on even bytes.  Files generated by ffmpeg
wind up about 25% odd-length and thus cause subsequent un-alignment.

This seems like a possible likely reason for the odd performance issues,
with the inconsistent behavior of dropped frames.  I don't know if
Quicktime specifies any sort of alignment, as other files generated by
Quicktime Pro its self in other codecs don't seem to be strictly
aligned;  but I've run dozens of "proper" ProRes files through ffprobe
generated by both FCP and the ARRI Alexa camera, and they are all 16-bit
aligned.

I've been browsing through the source trying to see if there's a hack I
could do as a test, but I'm completely new to working with ffmpeg much
less developing for it, so I'm a bit lost.  I'm not sure how to even
make the ProRes encoder somehow come up with even lengths or how/why
Apple's ProRes encoder seems to wind up that way, or if they are just
doing padding, or what.

Anyway, if anyone who is more familiar with the source is willing to
give it a look I'd be much appreciative!