[FFmpeg-user] ProRes Quicktimes with audio not playing back reliably

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Wed Oct 24 01:12:17 CEST 2012

On 10/23/2012 2:52 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Is the problem reproducible with both prores encoders,
> or only with one of them?

Both.

And to answer a previous question, I'm currently testing with ffmpeg
version N-45739-g04bf2e7 on Windows.

With my manufactured sources, I've managed to make some 30 second test
files from ffmpeg that are either all aligned, all unaligned but even
packet sizes (except the first), or a mixture.. and I'm not getting
conclusive results on any of them, either way.  So frustrating.  At the
end of the day, I think Quicktime is just a piece of crap.

I'll take these files with me into work tomorrow and feed them to FCP
though and see which throw the optimization warnings and which don't,
and see how well they play (it's hard to tell though, because the movies
themselves are freeze-frames, and I'm not sure if FCP even has a
sensitive dropped-frame indicator.)

Bob