[FFmpeg-user] Capturing raw H264 data. Need to convert to YUV with ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Oct 29 11:43:36 CET 2012

Joseph Rosensweig <jrosensw <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Does anybody know where I can find documentation or
> information on what FFMPEG looks for in a raw h264 file?

(I believe the answer is: "For a valid startcode.")

> I'm assuming that I need something to indicate the start
> and end of frames, maybe the dimensions, etc.  But not
> sure where to find info on this...

You have to provide a format that is called "Annex B", it
is the same format the reference decoder expects.

>     Here is my full uncut console output:
>
> $ ffmpeg -r 30 -s 1280x720 -i test.h264 test.yuv

You cannot provide a size for 1280x720, the dimensions
are stored within the file.
(Similar is true for the framerate.)

You could try -f h264 instead, if it works, please
provide the sample!

> FFmpeg version git-2d162e3, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
>   built on Apr  4 2012 11:34:44 with gcc 4.4.3
>   configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libx264
> --extra-ldflags=-L/source/VideoGatewayAlpha/externals/SDK/lib
> --extra-cflags=-I/source/VideoGatewayAlpha/externals/SDK/include
> --enable-shared --enable-pic
>   libavutil    50. 36. 0 / 50. 36. 0
>   libavcore     0. 16. 1 /  0. 16. 1
>   libavcodec   52.108. 0 / 52.108. 0
>   libavformat  52. 94. 0 / 52. 94. 0
>   libavdevice  52.  2. 3 / 52.  2. 3
>   libavfilter   1. 74. 0 /  1. 74. 0
>   libswscale    0. 12. 0 /  0. 12. 0
> test.h264: Invalid data found when processing input

You could test if the reference decoder accepts the file, if
yes, a sample would be very welcome!

Carl Eugen