[FFmpeg-user] trouble converting from .aif on Ubuntu 10.04 server

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Mon Oct 29 20:25:02 CET 2012

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 02:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
lapostal <lapostal at marue.at> wrote:

> While setting up a server for music producers to share sound snippets, i
> encounter some trouble converting from a 24 bit .aif. I tested this with
> multiple files, and the problem stays the same. The command i tried was
> this:
>
> /ffmpeg -i testfile.aif testfile.wav/
>
> I would have two questions now regarding this topic:
> 1) is this a known issue of older versions of ffmpeg?

Most likely. What you're using is very old. Development is very active
and as of writing this here have been at least 19736 updates to FFmpeg
just since r26402. This is why it's recommended to use a recent FFmpeg;
especially when you experience issues.

> 2) is there a reliable source for newer versions of ffmpeg on Ubuntu 10.04?

See How to Compile FFmpeg on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS:
https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuideLucid

There are also static builds available (64-bit) that should work in
10.04:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24633983/ffmpeg/index.html