[FFmpeg-user] Cinepak

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:25:34 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-07 1:08 PM, David Wagner wrote:
> Hello,
> is there really no cinepak enoder in ffmpeg?

In general, I hate it when support people respond to a question with "why on
earth would you want to do that" but I admit, it's hard not to think that way in
this case; the codec is now 20 years old, and was useful only to create small
videos that would play on a 1992 PC given the processing power available.

Perhaps if you told us what your overall purpose was, you might get a useful
hint on how to achieve your objective in a reasonable way.

(P.S. I believe that Windows relies on codec DLLs being 'installed', but FFmpeg
doesn't work that way; having a Cinepak (or any other) codec 'on your computer'
is not going to enable FFmpeg to use it.)

--
Andy