[FFmpeg-user] How to find the last working GIT version?

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Mon Sep 10 04:29:58 CEST 2012

On Sep 9, 2012 5:20 PM, "Dennis Volodomanov" <volodomanov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got a problem with FFmpeg remuxing MKV to MPEG-TS (video mux, audio
recode or drop, doesn't matter) and I have the last working build from
around N-43161-g31d8261. Shortly after (a few days or a couple of week at
most) that it stopped muxing properly. What I mean by that is that video
freezes a few seconds into certain videos (not all) and then skips further
to another frozen frame and so on.

> I'd like to try and narrow it down by getting each consecutive day after
that last-known working build and building to see when it starts to break.
Can you please supply a git command line to do that?

Look into using git bisect. It'll do a binary search on the commits between
a known working version and a known broken version, and narrow it down
until you can find the commit that caused the break. Google should be able
to find plenty of examples for git bisect. I think there might be a tool
even in ffmpeg/tools to help with bisecting too, though I've never used it.

Sorry I can't give a proper command off the top of my head; I'm replying
from my phone so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors.