[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 00:50:18 CEST 2012

>> Definitely averaged..... I often skip a few minutes of streams when
>> recoding and the value slowly climbs - starting at 0.
>
> Can you tell me why this means that it is the average speed and not the real
> speed at which the frames are processed. I'm not sure if I understand the
> assumption in your example.

Imagine you're doing a screencast for 2 hours using ffmpeg.  After 5
minutes, the fps cuts "in half" because of up-network traffic
congestion.  The ffmpeg console output wouldn't really let you know
that you're now operating "at half speed" until much later.  The other
example is if cpu congestion occurs when you're half way through
transcoding a file, you might not know about it for quite awhile (or
if you're receiving from stdin and it blocks for a minute, then
continues, your fps will be abnormally low).  Those types of
situations.
-r