[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

David Wagner david.wagner123 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:05:59 CEST 2012

>> BTW exists there a mode for benchmarking the DEcoding process,
>> so that I have some stats and won't need to play all the
>> files in realtime?
> I always use:
> $ time ffmpeg -i input -f null -

Is this a valuable method? The first time I do this the process last
about 3 seconds and I get u time=0.062s and maxrss=8740.
The second, third,fourth..... time I repeat the encode it doesn't even
needs a second to encode but I get values similar values like in the
first round and maxrss is the same, only very small differences.
So I changed the name of my input file. Then again one run 3 seconds and
the next  again very fast....

So it seems that the video is in the memory after the first run.

For comparing I would need to do a first run with the input video and
then gather the times. But I don't know if with this speed you can
measure exact enough for comparison.

And I'm searching especially something for decoding. Is there an option
for only measuring the decoding performance?