[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:03:25 CEST 2012

David Wagner wrote on Tue 11 Sep at 0:41 UK time

> In the beginning I have some lines like that.
>
> frame=  113 fps=0.0 q=39.0 size=      40kB time=00:00:02.13 bitrate=
> 154.1kbits/s

What is the full command line you have here?

That tells me the following information:

frame = 113. ffmpeg has encoded 113 frames.
fps=0.0. You don't look like you are encoding video at the moment- this
is confusing.
q=39. A measure of quality. I'm never sure what that means to be honest
size= The size of the encoded video data so far.
time= how long the encoded data is if you'd play it back
bitrate= average encoded bitrate (size/time).

The reports here are entirely consistent - but yours don't look it. If
I'm not encoding fps=0, as soon as I start actual encoding (as opposed
to searching) fps starts to increase.