[FFmpeg-user] XvidExpert needed for "transcoding" xml into ffmpeg parameters

David Wagner david.wagner123 at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 13 05:27:57 CEST 2012

Am 12.09.2012 21:01, schrieb Andy Civil:
> On 2012-09-11 8:08 AM, David Wagner wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I have this xml and need it convertet into parameter for ffmpeg. But
>> how in the
>> hell shall I find all the right commands in ffmpeg?
>> I don't have the time and the knowledge to for doing that. Is there
>> anyone who
>> really knows the parameter conversion. I tried some GUIs but they all
>> produced
>> nothing of worth.
>
> I'm not an "expert" but I'm hoping that if I start with the parameters
> I understand, people will add or correct any I miss.
>
> Many of the lines in this are irrelevant. They are formalities such as
> "Name", or they're defining things as not applying in this case, such
> as QPel (false). Yet others simply control the way the coder works,
> e.g. Turbo (false). Yet others are options; only one FourCC can be in
> any file, and the XML gives four! Even further, some options are
> plainly silly: if interlacing is "false" then we don't need to know
> that "bottom field first" is "true" - LOL
>

> I will translate the options that I think you actually need:
>

>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> <VideoProfile xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
>> <Name>XviD_Default</Name>
>> <Settings xsi:type="xvidSettings">
> -c:v libxvid
>
>> <EncodingMode>3</EncodingMode>
>> <BitrateQuantizer>700</BitrateQuantizer>
>> <KeyframeInterval>300</KeyframeInterval>
> -g 300
>
>> <NbBframes>2</NbBframes>
> -bf 2
>
>> <MinQuantizer>3</MinQuantizer>
> -qmin 3
>
>> <MaxQuantizer>5</MaxQuantizer>
> -qmax 5
>
>> <Turbo>false</Turbo>
>> <V4MV>false</V4MV>
>> <QPel>false</QPel>
>> <Trellis>true</Trellis>
> -trellis 2
>
>> <CreditsQuantizer>12</CreditsQuantizer>
>> <FourCCs>
>> <string>XVID</string>
>> <string>DIVX</string>
>> <string>DX50</string>
>> <string>MP4V</string>
>> </FourCCs>
> -vtag XVID
>
>> <Logfile>.stats</Logfile>
>> <CustomEncoderOptions />
>> <FourCC>0</FourCC>
>> <Zones />
>> <MaxNumberOfPasses>2</MaxNumberOfPasses>
> If you want two pass encoding then you should read up about it;
> basically you do it twice, first with "-pass 1" then with "-pass 2"
> but it's ONLY relevant if you're trying to squeeze into a certain size
> (e.g. fit on a CD).
>
>> <NbThreads>1</NbThreads>
> -threads 1
>
>> <MotionSearchPrecision>6</MotionSearchPrecision>
> -dia_size 6
>
>> <VHQMode>1</VHQMode>
>> <QuantType>2</QuantType>
> [...]

Thank you very much. Unfortunately  I  now used the command line utility
XvidEncraw which took me 5 minutes, as it has almost all of the
parameters as default settings and his paramterlist as a xvid only
encoder gives it a high usability mark. But perhaps I will  integrate it
into my program if I have the time. Perhaps it makes sense so see which
are the default parameters set by ffmpeg. Do you know  how I can read
out the default parameters of an ffmpeg encoder so I can see which
parameter I need to change and which not?

David