[FFmpeg-user] XvidExpert needed for "transcoding" xml into ffmpeg parameters

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:49:38 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-12 11:27 PM, David Wagner wrote:

> Thank you very much. Unfortunately I now used the command line utility
> XvidEncraw which took me 5 minutes, as it has almost all of the parameters as
> default settings and his paramterlist as a xvid only encoder gives it a high
> usability mark. But perhaps I will integrate it into my program if I have the
> time. Perhaps it makes sense so see which are the default parameters set by
> ffmpeg. Do you know how I can read out the default parameters of an ffmpeg
> encoder so I can see which parameter I need to change and which not?

I don't know how to answer that; I know that FFmpeg will choose sensible
defaults wherever possible and/or will mimic the input file where relevant;
hence, it frequently "just works". If you use a 'preset' then these preset files
(extension .ffpreset) are human-readable.

I did have trouble making a XVID file for a DVD player I have that claims to be
able to play DivX; the command I finally used was:
c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg -i blch-01.mkv -sn -c:a libmp3lame -ar 48000 -ab 128k -ac 2
-c:v libxvid -crf 24 -vtag DIVX -vf scale=640:480 -aspect 4:3 -mbd rd -flags
+mv4+aic -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -g 30 -vb 1500k -y blch-01.avi

(It was important to me to erase the subtitle stream because I couldn't turn the
darn thing off!)

I suggest that copying this form should work for you (nuke the windows path of
course, if on Linux) since I believe my rather old DVD player is rather fussy,
and several of these files worked.

Good luck.

--
Andy