[FFmpeg-user] Is there a video or audio file can't be seekable or can't get it's duration?

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 15:43:34 CEST 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:28:35 +0100, littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I am writing a script try to deal with all kinds of videos or
> audios, I need to know which kind of files we can't get it's duration
> before play it really or can't be seekable or both. I have no these
> kinds of sample files, so I can't try them really.

Consider video or audio streams.  None of those are seekable (without
trick-play) as they come in across the network, and I regularly curse
people who forget this and assume their demuxer can seek as much as it
likes.  Some of them may give you a duration, some may have an indefinite
duration (e.g. internet radio), some may lie.

--
Rhodri James
Kynesim Ltd