[FFmpeg-user] Problem with vf pad ... help please

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Sep 17 17:36:54 CEST 2012

Le jour de la Vertu, an CCXX, Mark Himsley a écrit :
> You are falling into the trap that the all of the pixels on a 720x576
> line are part of the active 4:3 picture. Where as only 702 pixels are.
>
> If you wish to ignore the calculated scale and pad values I gave you
> above, and insist on sticking with your calculated numbers, then you
> (like many before you and many to follow) will get the will get the
> images 2.5% too narrow. I'm sure that will flatter most people, being
> 2.5% too thin, but it is wrong. Please believe the experience of 26
> years at the BBC.

Do you have any normative reference about that? It seems to contradict what
I remember (I'll have to dig into the standards again) reading.

Note that I do not doubt your 26 years of BBC, just I wonder who is doing
something wrong: it could also be the ones producing the padded 702 pixels.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George