[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg for Android

Срђан Обућина obucinac at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 05:24:54 CEST 2012

2012/9/21 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

> Срђан Обућина <obucinac <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > FFmpeg for Android is my attempt to create FFmpeg port for Android.
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to fix?
> What's wrong with the provided Makfiles?

Android building system concept is much different than ./configure; make;
Android makefiles also have different format, and they require few specific
includes and variables in order to work. Provided makefiles does not have
them.

FFmpeg may be inserted in Android as a prebuild library, by configuring and
making library with standalone cross compiler (outside of Android source
code tree and outside of Android build system), and copying compiled
libraries at predefined location in Android source code tree, where Android
build system will pick them up and use them for linking and creating
filesystem.

The other way to do it, is to have FFmpeg source code included into Android
source code tree, and enable Android building system to build it according
to the building environment configuration. Considering all specifics of
Android build system, and countless possible Android building system and
FFmpeg configurations, writing proper Android makefiles for building FFmpeg
may be frustrating task.

The second way is preferred in the industry I am working in, and I am
trying to make this easier.

Some explanations may be found here
http://sourceforge.net/p/ffmpeg4android/wiki/Introduction/