[FFmpeg-user] BGR24-YUV420-BGR24 conversion on raw video

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 10:07:58 CEST 2012

On 19/09/12 06:34, Timo S wrote:
> Thanks Mark! :)
>
> So, the good old BT.709...

Actually 601....

> Is there any way to force the conversion to full 0-255 range? I wouldn't
> want to be bound by ancient TV technology...

The ffmpeg libs support a number of different colourspaces for
conversion between RGB and YUV. Not sure if full range is one of them.
Unfortunately whilst third party users make use of this, ffmpeg itself
defaults to always using "SWS_CS_DEFAULT" which is set to 601.

As they say, I'm sure a patch would be welcome....

> It's kinda hard to test concept codecs like the H.265 (which uses raw yuv as
> test videos) if the comparison uses raw bgr24 avi for test material. The
> metrics would be utterly useless. Of course PSNR is never conclusive if
> comparing codecs and therefore I use also AbsDiff and UIQ. Possibly SSIM, if
> we are successful in implementing that.
>
> Offtopic: H.265 test encoder is seriously buggy. It was even missing an
> include line on the source code, so it wouldn't build. Luckily one guy here
> knows his C++.

So the test encoder is C++ only then....

--
Tim