[FFmpeg-user] optimized bitrate

Hugo Wau hugowau at gmx.net
Mon Sep 24 14:05:36 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have made now some tests with the "-qcomp 0.7" option versus the "-b
4000k" option and did not notice any difference in the results. Both
videos were reduced in size as I had wished it would be.
I found out, that I had to put the -b option at the front of the command
line, directly following the ffmpeg command, while the qcomp option hat
to follow the modifiers of the video codec (near the end of my command
line).

Now I would like to have a (Linux) bash script, where the right bitrate
is calculated from the length of the audio or from the number of the
single images, from which the video is made. I think that some formula
to calculate the bitrate for the -b option for ffmpeg must exist already
in the public domain somewhere, but I have not found it yet. (Something
for my very low level of understanding since I am far from being a video
or DVD or ffmpeg Expert).

With kind regards
Hugo