[FFmpeg-user] [Bulk] Re: ProRes Quicktimes with audio not playing back reliably

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Tue Sep 25 09:32:27 CEST 2012

I'm still trying to figure this one out and started playing with ffprobe
tonight.

One thing I'm seeing is that the way ffmpeg is muxing the audio and
video together seems to be quite fragmented compared to a "real" ProRes
file made on a Mac (live capture in Final Cut.)

I did an an 'ffprobe -show_packets' on both a ProRes/s16le file encoded
by ffmpeg and one encoded by Final Cut, and then did a 'grep codec_type'
on the output to show me the audio/video packets as they were encountered.

For the FCP file I get what seems to be a regular pattern of 47 audio
packets followed by 30 video packets.

For the ffmpeg encoded file, I get a more irregular and vastly shorter
interleave.. AA V AA V A V AA V A V AA V A V AA V AA V A V AA V A V AA V
etc.

Not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree but I wonder if this very
tight interleaving is what could be throwing Quicktime off its axis?

By the way I didn't mention in my original post that this isn't just
Quicktime Player having problems playing back (I generally despise
Quicktime but Apple is particularly crap at writing Windows software)
but any realtime apps that use Quicktime IO...  for instance if I link
to the movies in Avid Media Composer, I get stuttering and dropped frame
indications there as well.