[FFmpeg-user] Simultaneous two-pass?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:02:31 CEST 2012

On 09/27/2012 07:56 AM, Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2012 5:07 PM, "Jesse Gordon" <tojesseg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried a few -threads options and nothing seemed to change anything. It could be that the flv encoder doesn't support threads.
>>

> how did you test that ffmpeg  actually not doing multithreading?

ffmpeg is definitely multithreading: It uses one thread for decoding the
input stream and another thread for encoding the output stream. It may
even use a third thread for its own stuff.

It is the flv encoder that doesn't support threads according to ffmpeg
-encoders.
And because encoding only uses one CPU core, it leaves the other 6
completely idle. But that's OK because I can make it start several
processes at the same time.

(I am using slackware 64 bit linux.)

Thanks,

~Jesse Gordon