[FFmpeg-user] Encoding to FLV for internet streaming - what's best?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:24:39 CEST 2012

On 09/27/2012 02:23 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Jesse Gordon <tojesseg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That's good to know - do we have any control or knowledge of
>> the window size and how much over sized a frame can be, and such?
> I believe maxrate and bufsize were already suggested.
>
> Carl Eugen

Ahh thanks! I do apologize for starting out solving the problem in such
the wrong direction. I well may have missed some perfectly helpful clues
just because I didn't even know the question I was asking!

I can't find any verbose documentation on maxrate and bufsize, except
that they set the maxrate and bufsize.

 From what I can tell it looks like I should set a bufsize of several
seconds of video at whatever rate I'm encoding, and then set a maxrate
of maybe 2 to 4 times my -b rate -- and then do it in a single pass, and
this ought to be exactly what I want, if I understand correctly!

Thank you all very much!

Hmm.  it seems ffmpeg is ignoring -b:v and -b and even -maxrate.
-b:v does have some influence, but if -b:v is, let's say, 300k for
320x240, the actual bitrate may be 600 or 700k.
But I'm sure the other day it was doing it right.
Oh well I have to go - getting ready to take off for a week.

Thanks again!

Jesse Gordon