[FFmpeg-user] Fwd: "Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream" - how to assign channels? (FL+FR+FC+LFE+BL+BR)

Steve C natgeo.operations at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:20:15 CEST 2013

> (You have to specify the option 16 - or at least
> 14 - times.)

sorry, i was not clear, i have tried to apply -channel_layout after
each audio input,
but that does not seem to work. FFMPEG just takes that last
-channel_layout option
and applies that to all audio inputs.

I have also tried to apply -channel_layout as one statement for all inputs

-channel_layout FL+FR+FC+LFE+BL+BR+SL+SR

this option also does not seem to work, FFMPEG does not apply the
layout to each input channel inscucession,
but applies the full layout to each channel.
so it creates an output file that has a 5.1 layout applied to each mono stream.

What is the correct way to apply -channel_layout in my situation?
I have 16 mono files, each represent one channel of the audio mix
5.1+2  (Full Mix) and 5.1+2  (MDE Mix)

> The fact that FFmpeg tries hard to guess a channel_layout
> for every audio input is a regression; it couldn't be
>
> I am not convinced anybody is working on reverting
> "always guess a channel layout", probably because
> developers do not see this as a bug.

is there a way to bring up this issue with the developers?

my preference would be to create a output file with no channel layout assigned.
if that is not possible, i can try to make the -channel_layout work