[FFmpeg-user] Concatenating mp4s Quickly

Paul Jungwirth pj at illuminatedcomputing.com
Thu Apr 11 00:54:39 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to use ffmpeg to concatenate about a half-dozen mp4 files
in order to create a longer mp4. I don't need to do any other
processing other than concating the files. Right now, my approach is
to make mpgs out of each input file, literally `cat` them together,
then re-encode back to mp4. But this takes over a minute per output
video (for output about ~7 minutes long), and I'd like to get it down
to just a few seconds if possible. Is there a better approach? I can
pre-encode the input files to whatever format is appropriate; the only
time that matters is the time to take all the inputs (in whatever
format) and produce a final mp4. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul