[FFmpeg-user] No visible difference between hwaccel and no hwaccel

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Thu Apr 18 15:38:18 CEST 2013

>>> (It does nothing because it is auto-detected.)
>>
>> To clarify: It used to be auto-detected for several years, I consider
>> it a regression (bug) that it is not auto-detecting currently.
>>
>>> It enables VA-API support in libavcodec (to allow applications like
>>> vlc and xbmc to use it).
>
>> That should still be true
>
>however, you need to install "libva-devel" or however the devel-packages are named on the used distribution

Okay, so what I am gathering is that if I want to do this benchmarking, I will need to write my own app using libavcodec that will do the decoding.  I can then compile libavcodec with --enable-vaapi, build my program, benchmark; then repeay without --enable-vaapi.  Is that correct?

Any leads on where to start?  Are there some stripped down examples of libavcodec?

Thanks!
Jon