[FFmpeg-user] HTML5 live streaming

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 24 18:35:01 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Ricardo Kleemann
<ricardo at americasnet.com> wrote:

> I appreciate your help, Jonathan. Thank you
>
> Would you know where I can find the optimal ffmpeg transcoder settings for
> each of iPad, iPhone, Android Phone and Android Tablet?

Each version of iphone and ipad have supported different versions of
H264. For instance, the current ipad supports H264 1080p30 High
Profile Level 4.1 (plus a bunch of other caveats) where as the
original ipad support H264 720p30 Main Profile Level 3.1 (plus a bunch
of other caveats).

What each android device supports depends upon that specific device as well.

If you want to target all mobile devices, stick to 720p or less, level
3.0, baseline profile, set a target bitrate and a maximum bitrate. The
times when you will have problems is when the video is too high a
bitrate for a specific device, or it uses features that device does
not support. This may not happen immediately a video starts, it may
happen just at a specific point.

I don't know what settings are applicable generically, but this is
what I use to transcode for my ipad (v1):

-c:v libx264 -profile:v baseline -level 30 -maxrate 10000000 -b 1200k

which WFM.

Cheers

Tom