[FFmpeg-user] EBU R128 True Peak?

Manu N audionuma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:39:00 CEST 2013

Hi again,

2013/4/25 Boštjan Strojan <bostjan.strojan at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Manu N <audionuma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> You have to keep in mind that the -1 dBTP limit is for PCM codecs. If
> your
> > stream is to go thru lossy codecs, you should keep within a tighter
> limit,
> > like -3 dBTP.
> > So if there's a sort of warning, it should be a user setting more than a
> > hardcoded value.
> > Besides, depending on the sample format in a PCM stream (fixed vs float),
> > raising the file1 to the target level might induce irreversible artifact
> on
> > peaks (let's say you have a stream whose integrated loudness is -27 LUFS
> > and max true-peak -3 dBTP, the +4 dB gain will create peakings if you are
> > in 16 bits PCM).
>
> Thats interesting, but do you actually have such stream in existance
> or are you theoretically speaking? (Just did a quick scan on bunch of
> "close to -23 LUFS" files and "sample peak" is max -6 dB, so basically
> "true peak" would have to be 6 dB higher?

I have received non-theorical deliveries for a nationwide broadcaster that
present the following values (that's a 1H30' documentary, excellent
production sound, 5.1 mix, 24 bits PCM 48 kHz) :
Integrated Loudness : -27 LUFS
LRA : 23 LU
Max true-peak : -1.3 dBTP

And a true-peak can be more than 6 dB higher than sample-peak for a 48 kHz
sample rate on certain circumstances.

As I don't think that this list is the proper place for these r128 related
discussion, I will not follow on the list but feel free to send me a PM if
you want to discuss about it.