[FFmpeg-user] ffplay is not built

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 28 21:51:48 CEST 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> >> sorry but this is very very uncommon and ffmpeg appears
> >> the only software on this planet where permanently the
> >> use of the devel-branch is recommended
> >
> > Since you apparently do misunderstand:
> > FFmpeg git head always contains less bugs

(you unfortunately cut the relevant part:
FFmpeg git head at any time contains less
- known! - bugs but more features than any release.
Or in other words: If you use a release, you knowingly
accept more bugs but less features at the same time.)

> sorry but this would mean that the developers
> are always perfect and never introduce regressions

No, you completely misunderstand:
It just means that FFmpeg development does not have
the necessary man-power to backport all bug fixes
to release branches.

Allow me to add that if you want to maintain a
release, that would be very welcome!

Carl Eugen