[FFmpeg-user] OpenCL? What Effect Does It Have

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Aug 5 19:47:25 CEST 2013

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> If I were to install a more powerful Nvidia graphics
> card on my machine, and then configure and build
> ffmpeg with OpenCL enabled, what effect would it have?

In theory, you could use opencl for the deshake and
the unsharp filters but I don't know if sufficiently
new OpenCL drivers exist.

> * Inverse telecine, or deinterlace filters

Unrelated to your question:
I suspect that deinterlacing (yadif) is faster with
FFmpeg than MEncoder.

> * Convert to a lossless format: ffvhuff, ljpeg, etc
> (I currently do this with mencoder, but would switch
> to ffmpeg if it's faster).

Given that MEncoder uses the exact same source code
to encode ffvhuff and ljpeg (and most probably "etc")
how do you expect that FFmpeg could be faster?
Allow me to repeat that since MEncoder is not
actively maintained, it makes no sense to use it if
you don't have very special needs (like binary
codecs but you should be able to use them with
mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg and FFmpeg).

Carl Eugen