[FFmpeg-user] OpenCL? What Effect Does It Have

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 15:02:21 CEST 2013

>Yadif from libavfilter can also use multiple threads.

Okay.  But are they accelerated with OpenCL?

>> * Convert to a lossless format: ffvhuff, ljpeg, etc
>> (I currently do this with mencoder, but would switch
>> to ffmpeg if it's faster).
>
>I suppose those could be made multithread too.

Multi-threaded is one thing.  OpenCL is another.  Are the
above converted to run with OpenCL?

> Given that MEncoder uses the exact same source code
> to encode ffvhuff and ljpeg (and most probably "etc")
> how do you expect that FFmpeg could be faster?

Maybe my original question, and reply to Carl wasn't clear enough.

OpenCL is an API for using GPUs to do computationally
intensive tasks.  See this URL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
By coding expensiev tasks in OpenCL, especially image processing operations
which ffmpeg does all the time, you can achieve 10x to 100x performance
improvement.  I'd like to know what parts of ffmpeg have been
accelerated with OpenCL.  This could potentially improve the
performance and prestige of ffmpeg.  But it doesn't sound like much
work has been done in this area.  Is that true?