[FFmpeg-user] Inverse Telecine with ffmpeg

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Aug 9 16:37:49 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>The info you provide was not enough to provide any detailed help.
>
>>How you extract higher quality JPEG images when using nemcoder? Is it
>>using lavc internal encoder?
>
> Lets ignore the JPEG images for now.  The bigger problem is the ffmpeg Inverse
> Telecine is getting rid of good video frames, not only the duplicated frames.
>
>>If for whatever reason nemcoder works in your specific scenario does not mean
>>that ffmpeg result is worse.
>>
>>So far I have not found that fieldmatch + decimate gives poor results
>>and I assume
>>its working perfectly.
>
> Have you checked the number of frames in your Telecined vs Inverse
> Telecined video?  In my case, the ffmpeg Inverse Telecine is dropping
> a lot more video frames that the mencoder Inverse Telecine.  This is
> a big problem for me, (I don't understand how anyone would think
> otherwise).  Can you send me the command you use to 'tune' the Inverse
> Telecine with ffmpeg?  Thanks.

Do you have a small sample where you can reproduce this? That would
probably be best to get this resolved, i.e. open a ticken in trac
(https://trac.ffmpeg.org/) upload files and a description (command
line used in ffmpeg, command line used using mencoder and the
difference in the result, e.g. "frames 12, 16 and 19 are missing in
the ffmpeg output" and what you think would be correct behaviour). If
you get this resolved without this, could you post the solution here?