[FFmpeg-user] Problems with Audio Codec: almost solved it

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 18:48:46 CEST 2013

>What exactly does ffmpeg output when you do ffmpeg -i <your-input-file>?

For the audio code, it displays: audio pcm_s16le 48000 Hz s1g, 1536 kb/s.

I guess that means I should use '-c:a pcm_s16le'.

Is there an ffmpeg option that tells it to use whatever audio codec
that the input file used?

Alternatively, if I want to compress the audio, what is a good suggestion
for an audio codec that is most widely supported?  I want to ensure it
works with mencoder, mplayer, and whatever tool I might use in the
future.  What's the best bet?  '-c:a mp2'?  I use Linux machines almost
exclusively.