[FFmpeg-user] Problems with Audio Codec: almost solved it

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 15:35:13 CEST 2013

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, if I want to compress the audio, what is a good
> suggestion for an audio codec that is most widely supported?  I want
> to ensure it works with mencoder, mplayer, and whatever tool I might
> use in the future.  What's the best bet?  '-c:a mp2'?  I use Linux
> machines almost exclusively.

You can choose mkv format container if no other considerations, so you
can free to select almost any video and audio codec. It should be no
problem when you use mplayer to play the file encoded by ffmpeg.
Mplayer uses ffmpeg decoder too. But I am not sure if it is the all
cases, because "/usr/bin/ffmpeg -codecs | grep "  EA"" show some audio
codec without decoder, e.g., "  EA    sonicls         Sonic lossless",
I only find "DEA    sonic           Sonic", maybe "sonic" audio decoder
also decode "sonicls"?