[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe -show_frames and coded_picture_number

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 13:24:19 CEST 2013

thljcl wrote:
> I do have experiences over changing frame rate from 25 FPS, 29.97
> FPS, and 30 FPS to 24 FPS using the method I described. As far as my
> eyes are concerned, I do not have the so-called “unrealistic motion”
> issues. Some people have believed that higher frame rate is required
> for more realistic motion. Without regards to human eyes or
> perceptions

Well you totally do not consider the aspect of display technology and
the issue of film judder caused by the need to refresh > framerate to
avoid flicker perception.

Of course film makers know the limitations of there media and do use
blur and tricks, including just not attempting some shots to alleviate
judder perception. This does not mean that this is ideal.

I could link to a Poynton here but I thought you would want something
more recent :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper209