[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg only works for one user.

Leonard Bogard leonard at kcfchurch.org
Thu Aug 15 06:33:05 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:

> >> No, it isn't the ffmpeg you installed follow the instruction at
> >> http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide . I have a
> >> glance at this instruction, the correct ffmpeg here should
> >> be: /home/INSTALL_USER/bin/ffmpeg .
> >>
> >> So, try "/home/INSTALL_USER/bin/ffmpeg" when login with
> >> another user.
> >
> > Simple solution. GAH!  Thanks, it worked
>
> now ask yourself two things careful:
>
> * why in the world has one user permission to the userhome of another one
>   on your machine

To be honest, I have no idea, and at this point I really don't care since
there isn't going to be a large userspace anyways.  Infact, only www-data
(the account the webserver is running from) needs access.  I absolutely
agree that its not ideal and infact if there was a step-by-step WORKING
instructions (that I could find) for installing compiled ffmpeg with the
libraries needed globally I would have done it.  Infact, I would have been
just fine with the fake ffmpeg if it would have worked.

> * why do you use instructions installing in your userhome if you
>   want to share the binary with other users?

Because it was the only one I could get working the way I needed it.  Had
their been a complete install instructions that worked, I would have used
it.

Point of note: the third party PPA that someone suggested didn't work
either.  I forget what all I had to change and strip out of my original
ffmpeg startup script but in the end it just would not work.  I'm not sure
but I think that version of ffmpeg wasn't able to discern the audio stream
from my Blackmagic Decklink Mini Recorder (through bmdcapture).  I don't
know why (if my assumption is correct) since it does seem to be compiled
from the latest version of ffmpeg.

I am still very amenable to and can still try to install a proper globally
accessible compiled ffmpeg (with libfdk-aac, libfaac, libx264, libmp3lame,
libopus, libvpx.)  However, I need to go live with this new machine Sunday
and it needs to be working from the web page for easy and fast access.