[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe -show_frames and coded_picture_number

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu Aug 15 11:11:38 CEST 2013

> Speeding the audio would affect the “pitch” and other effects.

This is invariably fixed using clever digital algorithms in modern conversions.

> To me personally, I would support the standardization of frame rate at 24

> FPS for all videos/films created.

Ah, wouldn't we all.

Actually, we wouldn't, as things like broadcast sports would suffer horribly from stroboscopic motion.

> The real reasons for the old standards are still in use is more about
> traditions or what people already have or are used to.

Well, hang on a minute. The reason the old standards are still in use is because the world is still full of standard-definition TV sets and related equipment. Why d'you think HD broacast formats still include the fractional frame rates? So that they can be downconverted to standard-def in realtime without having to deal with complicated frame rate conformation issues.

Nobody likes the issues that arise from this; they're just less objectionable issues than the alternative.

> Is it really necessary to change frame rate when I view film materials or digitally
> created 24-FPS video on LCD display?

The "frame rate" (that is, the duration for which each frame is displayed) certainly is being changed, regardless of anyone's opinion on the matter.