[FFmpeg-user] encoding with Avid MXF as sourcefile

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Aug 25 17:11:48 CEST 2013

Bouke (VideoToolShed <bouke <at> videotoolshed.com> writes:

> What is the secret recepy to do so?
> For DNxHD,  ffmpeg -f dnxhd -i input yadda works

This sounds like a bug:
If "ffmpeg -i input yadda" does not work, please
provide the sample.

> (ok, it throws an error, but it works)

Complete, uncut console output missing.

> Sound works straight out of the box.
>
> But what about other codecs?
> -f prores -i avidProResFile.mxf  does not work,

There is no format prores that you could specify.
-f specifies file formats, in some cases you can
specify -vcodec for the input codec, but this is
unusual, better provide a sample if it does not
work.

> for XDcamHD consolidated MXF, -f xdcamhd nor
> -f mpeg2video does it .

These formats either don't exist or have other
names ("mpegvideo" for raw MPEG-2 Video), you
should not have to specify these codecs (I
don't think they exist in file formats that
need it).

> and then there are lots of more avid codecs,
> but these are the most significant to me.
> Options please?

Samples?

Carl Eugen