[FFmpeg-user] mpeg4 encoder using qscale to set open VBR seems broken?

Arne Lie Arne.Lie at sintef.no
Wed Dec 4 11:27:47 CET 2013

Hi!

Earlier versions of ffmpeg could manage static Q-scale values to produce pure open loop VBR content, even with the mv4 motion vector estimation enabled. Current version seems to have this option broken, or must be initialized differently? My YUV content is encoded the following way:

ffmpeg -s cif -r 29.97 -i video.yuv -vcodec mpeg4 -flags mv4 -flags2 sgop -g 12 -qscale 4 -s 352x288 -r 29.97 -y video_Q4.m4v

If I do not use mv4 motion estimation, then, static Q scale is used! But, I want to use mv4! How can I obtain this, or is this a known issue?

Best regards

Arne

Arne Lie
SINTEF ICT, Dept. of Communication Systems
Post address:    PB 4760 Sluppen, NO-7465 Trondheim, NORWAY
Visitor address: Strindveien 4, N-7034 Trondheim
Dir. phone / mobile: +47 450 20 040
e-mail: arne.lie at sintef.no<mailto:arne.lie at sintef.no>