[FFmpeg-user] Recording audio to FLAC on Mac OS X

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Wed Dec 4 15:55:47 CET 2013

On 2013-12-04 12:18, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:
> On 04 Dec 2013, at 12:10, Hans J. Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se> wrote:
>
>> ffmpeg -codecs | grep -i flac
>> returns
>> DEA..S flac                 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
>>
>> so there is a flac encoder, and thus ffmpeg should be able to produce a flac "recording" if the signal can be gotten to ffmpeg in the first place.
>>
>> ffmpeg -i ....... -acodec flac out.flac
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Getting the audio to fdfmpeg, i e what to give as argument to  "-i", I suppose, is better answered by Mr. Hoyos.
> What is the source of the sound, microphone audio-in, then you need to know how these devices are called in OSX

Of course, but OSX is a sort-of unix, so some sort of indication could
probably be provided if someone feels absolutely certain that there
actually are audio-in devices that can be specified as input for ffmpeg.

I have a nasty feeling there might be more to it than just specifying a
device name, one should probably add something to tell if it's alsa or
jack (under linuxy environs) or what. Or whatever the audio in channel
protocols are in Mac OSX.