[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg `error while opening encoder for output stream` (Windows)

Dave Lasley dave at dlasley.net
Fri Feb 8 23:46:13 CET 2013

Hello,****

I am getting the error****

    error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 -****

      maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width, or height***
*

When I run the below command on
Windows ffmpeg-20130205-git-c2dd5a1-win64-static**

Z:Programs\\Windows\\ffmpeg-20130205-git-c2dd5a1-win64-static\\usr\\bin\\ffmpeg.exe
-i ^****

"Z:\\2-renamed\\Abduction.mkv" -passlogfile "Abduction.mkv.log" -b:v
13845000 ^****

-level 41 -vcodec libx264 -an -preset veryslow -sn -y -tune film -pass 1 ^**
**

-f rawvideo -y NUL****

I have searched around, and the universal solution is that you have to
specify the audio/video bit rates along with the audio/video codecs when
using two pass encoding. Unfortunately, I am already doing this with the
`-an` (no audio), `-b:v 13845000`, and `-vcodec libx264`.

**

>From the stream number, I am thinking that this is the video stream that is
failing. I figured that ffmpeg wasn't able to find my x264 binary, but the
command works if I remove `-pass 1`.

An additional note - this command works with no issues on my Ubuntu box,
and the failure is consistent between files on the Windows box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully it’s just my stupidity
with Windows ;)

Thank you,****

David Lasley