[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg creates m4a files that don't play on Marantz CD6003

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Feb 11 20:17:59 CET 2013

richard_get_iplayer <richard_get_iplayer <at> richsim900.plus.com> writes:

> I raised this issue sometime ago, it was fixed,
> but has at some stage regressed.

Although I cannot test, to the best of my knowledge,
the problem should still be fixed.

> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2011-April/000374.html
>
> The problem is caused if ffmpeg sets the average bit
> rate (avgBitrate) in the DecoderConfigDescriptor
> within the esds atom to zero.

I don't think it does.

> Where the avgBitrate is a non zero value, the m4a
> files play OK.
>
> Noticed the problem last week when I changed from Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
> to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise).
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) ffmpeg 4:0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3

> Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) fmpeg 4:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

Please add complete, uncut console output to be sure,
but this does not look like FFmpeg, it is instead an
intentionally broken version of FFmpeg that contains
several hundred known bugs not present in FFmpeg -
you only found one. Since many of these bugs are
security relevant, we cannot support this version.
Please see http://ffmpeg.org/download.html for
supported versions, current git head is always
recommended.

Carl Eugen