[FFmpeg-user] shell script for ffmpeg

Liam Condron-Farnos 23liam at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:41:45 CET 2013

> ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -q:v 0 out.mpg

This is not a working command-line, see here:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/How%20to%20grab%20the%20desktop%20%28screen%29%20with%20FFmpeg

> I was hoping some one will have a script to start that command without
> using the command line.
>
> Thanks,

A script along the lines of

    #!/bin/bash
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -i :0.0 -q:v 0 out.mpg
    exit 0

will start the ffmpeg command. Just save the script, mark it as
executable (chmod u+x filename - or you can use whatever GUI way your
desktop environment supports) and you should be able to click on the
script to. Stopping ffmpeg without the command-line is another issue,
of course :v

You could probably do something with kill or killall in a separate
script to end the ffmpeg instance.