[FFmpeg-user] Scaling down resolution, reduce framerate and record video from IP camera

Chris chris at vp44.net
Sun Feb 17 11:38:27 CET 2013

Hi all.

I have a question for you guys: I have recently installed a Ubiquity Aircam and
I would like to record a daily video. The camera streams via rtsp at 720p
resolution with 30fps and I obviously don't want to record it that way.
I would like to reduce the resolution by half to 640x360 and cut the framerate
to let's say 1-2 fps.
I'm already using ffmpeg to grab a frame every minute (it's a public weather
cam) but it's full size and I can't just do that every second:

/home/manager/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -i rtsp://aircam/live/ch00_0 -y -f image2 -ss 8
-sameq -t 0.001 /var/www/webcam/aircam-full.jpg

Is there any way to setup ffmpeg to capture the stream with the settings I
require?

Thanks
-Chris