[FFmpeg-user] Issue trimming an AVI

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:38:45 CET 2013

Is there
> anyway to overcome that, without re-encoding?
>
> Francois, how would I go about assigning or finding a new keyframe?  Do I
> just need to re-encode it?  I'm trying to preserve as much quality as
possible
> because it will get reencoded again when it's uploaded.

There probably is a way in ffmpeg, but I use tools like Avidemux or
VirtualDub to find the keyframe closest to the cut I want to make.

Then use its position as the starting offset in your ffmpeg command line. If
you don't do this, ffmpeg will either re-encode up to the first keyframe
(not too bad), or faithfully copy the first keyframe-less frames frames
(quite bad). The latter will either cause your output to play with garbage
at the start, or a more intelligent player might ignore all content until it
reaches the first keyframe.