[FFmpeg-user] Optimized Conversion Assistance [willing to pay]

Liam Condron-Farnos 23liam at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:07:24 CET 2013

>We need to convert any upload to the most optimized mp4, webm and ogv for
>an html5 player.

All browsers that can support OGV can support WEBM (and vice versa),
so using both is redundant.

I'd suggest reading this blog post (or any of the other dozens of
guides scattered around the internet), it will give you an idea of
what options to use:

http://evilsoup.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/general-ffmpeg-encoding-guide-2/

OGV=Theora video and Vorbis audio
WEBM=VP8 video and Vorbis audio
MP4=H.264 video and AAC audio

As the blogpost notes, the -crf option for libvpx is currently broken
(a known bug - https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2136), so you'll
have to set a target bit rate. For 480p video, around 500-600 kbit/s
should give acceptable quality. Also, I'd recommend using two-pass
encoding for VP8 video, if you care about quality.

There are a few more things to consider for MP4. See these guides:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/x264EncodingGuide
https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide

(if you can, I'd suggest compiling your own version of ffmpeg with
libfdk_aac enabled - for licensing reasons you won't find it in any of
the packaged versions online)

For HTML5 video, you will probably want to use -movflags faststart for
the MP4 files.