[FFmpeg-user] Can I speed up transcoding?

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Jan 8 10:02:07 CET 2013

On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:56 AM, Leo Papadopoulos <leo at telecomcto.com> wrote:

> Carl:
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> I have tried ultrafast but it uses almost 2x the disk space. I may still go
> with this option. I need to see how much more disk costs on Amazon's EC2. I
> was hoping maybe there were other ways. I see a 'threads' option in the
> ffmpeg command, but I don't know if this would help.
AFAIK and just tested on OSX threads is enabled by default. It takes the cores it finds available. I don't know how EC2 presents it's recourses. You can try -threads 2 or 3 depending what the system else is supposed to do. On a i5 2500k/4-cores I get fps=150 from an arbitrary file to 640x480 output in mp4 container.