[FFmpeg-user] backtrack parameters from existing file

Scott Goldman scottg at emailhosting.com
Tue Jan 8 23:07:03 CET 2013

   ----- Original Message -----From: "Henk D. Schoneveld"
<belcampo at zonnet.nl> Sent: Tue, January 8, 2013 16:26Subject: Re:
On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:07 PM, Scott Goldman <scottg at emailhosting.com> wrote:

>>  ----- Original Message -----From: "Scott Goldman"
> <scottg at emailhosting.com> Sent: Fri, January 4, 2013 20:26Subject:
> [FFmpeg-user] backtrack parameters from existing file
>> Greetings,
>> Is there anyway that ffmpeg can look at an existing video file and provide
>> the switches used to create that fiile - or at worst case, provide
>> switches to create similar output?>
>
>> We are trying to use ffmpeg to transcode to mp4 and need to match
>> quality/bitrate/etc of an existing file as close as possible.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Scott
>
>> So i've discovered what my issue really is. I'm trying to transcode from
>> an MXF file created by QUANTEL 3.6.  This version of their power portal
>> incorrectly set the edit rate as 59.97 but is in really 29.97.  so my
>> transcode is running at double speed.  I would like to use the -r 29.97
>> before the -i, but that doesnt work and when i add -force_fps -r 29.97,
>> ffmpeg reports Option framerate not found.
>ffmpeg -r 29.97 -i somefile.ext -c:v libx264 codecoptions -c:a .. -r 29.97
>output.ext probably will solve it.

ffmpeg -r 29.97 -i Quantel_3.6.mxf  -c:v libx264 codecoptions -c:a -acodec
aac -ac 2  -ab 48k -ar 22050  -strict experimental   Quantel_3.6.mp4
 yields:

ffmpeg version 0.8.4-4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the
Libav developers
  built on Nov  6 2012 16:51:33 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a
future release. Please use avconv instead.
Option framerate not found.

what is option framerate? i cant find it in man or online.