[FFmpeg-user] RTSP Latency Question

Tom Hendrick sdtom182 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:20:36 CET 2013

Hello,

I am working with an rtsp stream from an Axis IP camera and am
seeing some latency issues.  There was a separate thread that mentioned a
patch from Marton Balint and I posted a response but it wasn't accepted
for some reason.

Basically, when I use the command  ffplay -i
rtsp://192.168.0.90/mpeg4/media.amp i see about 1 second of latency when
 waiving my hand in front of the camera.  I tried several settings
including probesize and analyze duration and I could not get the latency
 down any more.

When I try this with mplayer using the following command: mplayer rtsp://192.168.0.90/mpeg4.media.amp
  it plays the stream right away and there is practically no latency at
all.

What I am most interested in doing is re-encoding the rtsp stream to an h.264 stream
and writing to a piped file. When I re-encode with ffmpeg and open the piped file with ffplay I still see the latency of a second or more.

Is the bug/fix that Marton Balint worked on likely to help my
situation?  Is the rtsp bug/fix just for ffplay, or will it affect ffmpeg?

Thank you.
Tom