[FFmpeg-user] formula for transcoding to ogv, shrinking an mkv

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Jan 15 14:15:50 CET 2013

While awaiting a response to this query I did some further
experimentation. I was able to come up with a new incantation which gives
smaller output files--I think mainly owing to a slower frame rate option
(-r 13) I introduced. That incantation is as follows:

ffmpeg -i infile.mkv -r 13 -acodec libvorbis -ab 48k -ac 2 -vcodec
libtheora -preset slow -wpredp 0 -crf 22 -threads 0 outfile.ogv

Again, should anyone see any errors in or problems with this incantation,
or if anyone can offer improvements, please do so. I would be happy to
learn more about this utility and its workings.

James